Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Day One

Hello!  My name is Jodi and this is my happiness blog.  It's hard to explain exactly what I'm doing here, but basically one of the ways I hope to hold myself accountable to my projects and goals is to post daily to this blog, as a way of logging my progress.  What I'm trying to do is hardly original:  people having seeking happiness in their lives for centuries.  All I know is, a few months ago, I started looking to broaden my life, to expand my experiences, to become a multi-faceted, interesting person.  Hell, maybe this is just my version of a mid-life crisis, although "crisis" is hardly the word, more like "mid-life EVENT".

I have been inspired by many sources, but the most influential have been The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin and Britt Reints' blog In Pursuit of Happiness and her book, An Amateur's Guide to the Pursuit of Happiness.  I am not necessarily looking to write a book (at least not on happiness) or launch a website.  In fact, my goals I have set for this month and for the year are modeled after Gretchen Rubin's happiness project.

Anyway, here I am:  Day One.  I am not a superstitious person.  But I read an article via Facebook about New Year's traditions and superstitions and one of them was that whatever you do on the first day of the new year will be what you will have in your life throughout that year.  I like that thought.  So today I have had good food, time with family, SUNSHINE, and exercise.  I have also talked over my ideas and goals for my year with my husband and played with the dog.  All good, positive things!

For January, I am copying straight from Rubin's project and her first month's theme:  Boost energy.  Under that, the goals are:
1.  Go to sleep earlier and reinstate "quiet time" in my house.
2.  Exercise better.
3.  De-clutter and organize the master bedroom (to help facilitate #1).
4.  Act more energetic.

Gratitude:  I am grateful for my children, my family, and for "down" time!
That's all for now.  There will be more every day. 

2 comments:

  1. Definitely a worthy endeavor!!! I love your phrase "mid-life EVENT" - the world would be a happier place if people looked at inevitable change in a more positive light.

    It's true about the master bedroom - to get proper rest, it needs to be a HAVEN - not a junk room! I'll be working on my own room today as it reverted to junk room status during the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sarah! I am working on de-cluttering my bedroom first, but it's tied to better use of the other kids' rooms. 3 of the 4 kids don't live here full-time, but we don't effectively use the extra space!
    J.

    ReplyDelete